When treating prostate cancer with Xtandi, the recommended dosage is usually 160 mg once a day. However, if you develop serious or intolerable side effects, you may need to stop taking the medication temporarily and then restart it at a lower dose. Make sure to swallow the capsules whole, and try to take Xtandi at the same time each day.
An Introduction to Dosing With Xtandi
The dose of Xtandi® (enzalutamide) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, based on a few factors, such as:
- How you tolerate the medication
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Xtandi Dosage for Prostate Cancer?
The recommended Xtandi dosage for the treatment of prostate cancer is typically 160 mg once a day (four 40-mg capsules once a day). If you experience potentially serious or intolerable side effects, your healthcare provider may recommend you stop taking the medicine for a week or longer until your symptoms improve, and then restart you on a lower dose, such as 120 mg or 80 mg once a day. People who take certain other medications may also need lower amounts of Xtandi.
General Information on Taking Xtandi
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Xtandi include the following:
- Xtandi comes in the form of a capsule. It is normally taken by mouth once a day.
- Try to take your dose at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Xtandi can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Xtandi must be swallowed whole; do not open, crush, cut, dissolve, or chew the capsules.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it just because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Xtandi, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.