Supprelin LA Warnings and Precautions
Because Supprelin LA may cause depression or allergic reactions, make sure to discuss the safety precautions and warnings with your healthcare provider before starting treatment. This implant is not suitable for everyone, and some people may need to avoid it entirely, including women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant. Also, contact your healthcare provider immediately if your child experiences mood or behavioral changes.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to receiving Supprelin® LA (histrelin implant) if you have:
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Supprelin LA and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Supprelin LA and Breastfeeding).
You should also tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With Supprelin LASome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using this medicine include the following:
- Supprelin LA causes an initial increase in hormone levels (estrogen in girls and testosterone in boys). As a result, you may notice more signs of puberty in your child in the weeks after the implant is inserted. The signs of puberty should stop within four weeks, as hormone levels fall.
- Your child's healthcare provider will periodically check your child's hormone levels. He or she will also monitor your child's bone age every 6 to 12 months. It is important to keep all of your scheduled visits with your child's healthcare provider.
- Contact your child's healthcare provider if your child experiences depression or other mood or behavioral changes.
- In rare cases, the Supprelin LA implant can come out through the skin. Contact your child's healthcare provider right away if you believe the implant is no longer in your child's arm. If the implant cannot be felt through the skin, the healthcare provider may need to do special tests, such as an ultrasound or CT scan, to try to locate it.
- Supprelin LA may interact with a few other medicines (see Supprelin LA Drug Interactions for more information).
- It is unknown if Supprelin LA passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to receiving the implant (see Supprelin LA and Breastfeeding). Keep in mind that this product is approved for use in children and is unlikely to be used in breastfeeding women.
- Supprelin LA is a pregnancy Category X medication. It should not be used in women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant (see Supprelin LA and Pregnancy).