Because PROVENGE (sipuleucel-T) is given by your healthcare provider and each dose includes a specific amount of your own immune cells, it is unlikely that you would receive an overdose. At this time, there have been no reports of someone receiving too much of this drug. Treating this type of overdose would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur.
Can You Receive Too Much PROVENGE?PROVENGE® (sipuleucel-T) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of prostate cancer. Specifically, it is approved for use in men who:
- Have prostate cancer that has spread to other areas of the body (metastatic prostate cancer)
- Have minimal or no symptoms from their cancer
- Cannot adequately be treated with hormone therapy.
PROVENGE is considered an autologous (related to yourself) immunotherapy. This means it uses your own immune cells to help fight the cancer. Each PROVENGE dose is uniquely made for each individual person, using that person's white blood cells. The dose is given by an injection into a vein (an intravenous or IV injection) in a healthcare setting.
Because each dose is made with a person's own immune cells, has a specific amount of cells in it, and is given in a healthcare setting, it is highly unlikely that an intentional or unintentional overdose could occur with this medication. However, if you think you have been given too much PROVENGE, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an OverdoseThere are no reported cases of an PROVENGE overdose. In addition, it is unlikely that an overdose would occur from normal use of the drug. Therefore, any expected symptoms from an overdose, if at all possible, are unknown.