Prostate Cancer Home > Zytiga Side Effects
Joint swelling, fluid retention, and muscle aches are some of most commonly reported side effects of Zytiga. Although most reactions to this medication tend to be minor, there are serious problems that can occur during treatment. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop confusion, yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin, or other potentially serious problems.
An Introduction to Zytiga Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Zytiga™ (abiraterone acetate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of ZytigaZytiga has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received Zytiga, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
- Joint swelling and discomfort -- in up to 29.5 percent of people
- Decreased blood potassium levels (hypokalemia) -- up to 28.0 percent
- Fluid retention (edema), especially of the legs and feet -- up to 26.7 percent
- Muscle aches, spasms, or stiffness -- up to 26.2 percent
- Hot flushes -- up to 19.0 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 17.6 percent
- Urinary tract infection (UTI) -- up to 11.5 percent
- Cough -- up to 10.6 percent
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension) -- up to 8.5 percent
- Increased urination -- up to 7.2 percent
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) -- up to 7.2 percent.
- An urgency to urinate during the night (nocturia)
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Cold-like symptoms
- Chest pain (angina) or discomfort
- Heart failure.