Prostate Cancer Home > Vantas Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Vantas well, side effects can occur and may include hot flushes, fatigue, and skin reactions at the implant site. Most of these problems are typically easy to treat. However, notify your healthcare provider immediately if you are using a Vantas implant and develop symptoms such as slurred speech, sudden chest pain, or blood in the urine.
An Introduction to Vantas Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Vantas® (histrelin implant) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Vantas. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of VantasVantas has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in people given a Vantas implant were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, common Vantas side effects included:
- Hot flushes -- in up to 65.5 percent of people
- Skin reactions at the implant site -- up to 13.8 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 9.9 percent
- Testicular atrophy (shrinking of the testicles) -- up to 5.3 percent
- Enlarged breasts -- up to 4.1 percent
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction, or ED) -- up to 3.5 percent
- Constipation -- up to 3.5 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 2.9 percent
- Headaches -- up to 2.9 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 2.3 percent
- Decreased libido (low sex drive) -- up to 2.3 percent.
Implant site reactions included bruising, pain, soreness, redness, and swelling. In clinical trials, the reactions resolved within two weeks of receiving the implant.