Prostate Cancer Home > Vantas Dosage
For relieving the symptoms of advanced prostate cancer, the typical dose of Vantas is one 50-mg implant surgically inserted just under the skin of the upper arm. Each implant provides a continuous release of 50 mcg of the drug each day for 12 months. After a year, your healthcare provider will remove the implant and replace it with a new one if treatment is to be continued.
An Introduction to Dosing With VantasThere is only one standard Vantas® (histrelin implant) dose, regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Vantas Dosage for Advanced Prostate CancerThe usual dosage of Vantas for the relief of advanced prostate cancer symptoms is one implant every 12 months. Each implant contains Vantas 50 mg and provides a continuous release of 50 mcg per day for one year, plus a few additional weeks to allow for flexible scheduling of the next implant.
The implant is inserted by a healthcare provider as part of a minor surgical procedure. After numbing your arm, your healthcare provider will make a small incision (a cut), to allow the implant to be inserted under the skin. Once the implant is inserted, the incision will be closed with stitches and special surgical tape.
General Information on Using VantasSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Vantas include the following:
- Vantas comes as an implant that is inserted subcutaneously (just below the skin) in the inner part of the upper arm once a year.
- The implant is inserted by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic.
- You should keep your arm clean and dry for 24 hours after receiving the implant. Also, do not lift heavy objects or exercise for seven days. This will help the surgical site heal, and reduce the chance of the implant being expelled through the incision site.
- The implant must be removed by your healthcare provider after approximately one year. If you are receiving another dose, the new implant may be inserted in the same area or placed in a different site of the upper arm.
- The Vantas implant will provide a few additional weeks of medicine, so your appointments do not need to be exactly one year apart.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Vantas dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.