Prostate Cancer Home > Trelstar Dosage
Trelstar can be given every 4, 12, or 24 weeks, depending on which formulation of the drug your healthcare provider recommends. Regardless of the strength you receive, each dose of Trelstar is given as a single injection into the muscle of either buttock. You will receive your injection at your healthcare provider's office, a clinic, or in another type of healthcare setting.
The Trelstar® (triptorelin pamoate) dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the specific product you are using. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Trelstar comes in three different formulations. The standard dosage when treating advanced prostate cancer depends on the formulation used, as follows:
- Trelstar 3.75 mg, given as a single injection once a month (every 4 weeks)
- Trelstar 11.25 mg, given as a single injection once every three months (every 12 weeks)
- Trelstar 22.5 mg, given as a single injection once every six months (every 24 weeks).
These formulations are not interchangeable. This means, for example, that a double dose of the 11.25-mg injection cannot be used in place of the 22.5-mg dosage, as it will not stay in the body for 24 weeks.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Trelstar include the following:
- This medication is given as a single injection into the muscle (intramuscular injection). It is usually given every one, three, or six months, depending on the particular Trelstar product used.
- Each Trelstar dosage will be given by your healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic.
- The injection is given into the muscle of either buttock. The specific injection site will alternate with each dose.
- The medication must be mixed with sterile water before administration. The injection should be given immediately after the drug is mixed.
- Trelstar should not be used if the vial is damaged, contains particles, or is cloudy or discolored.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not stop treatment because you feel better. Stopping the medicine will cause your symptoms to return.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Trelstar, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.