Prostate Cancer Home > Prostate Cancer Survival Rates
Prostate Cancer Survival Rates Based on StageThe stages of prostate cancer play a role in prostate cancer survival rates. Based on historical data:
- 91 percent of prostate cancer cases are diagnosed while the cancer is still confined to the primary site (localized stage) or after the cancer has spread to regional lymph nodes or directly beyond the primary site
- 5 percent of prostate cancer cases are diagnosed after the cancer has already metastasized (distant stage)
- 4 percent of prostate cancer cases had staging information that was unknown.
The corresponding 5-year relative prostate cancer survival rates were:
- 100 percent for localized or regional
- 33.3 percent for distant
- 79.5 percent for unstaged.
(Click Prostate Cancer Statistics for more statistics on prostate cancer.)