Prostate Cancer Home > Fentanyl Nasal Spray Dosage
General Information on Using Fentanyl Nasal SpraySome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with fentanyl nasal spray include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a nasal spray. The usual dosage is one or two sprays into the nostril no more than four times a day, as needed for pain.
- If your dosage is one spray, you should spray the medicine one time into one nostril. If your dosage is two sprays, you should spray the medicine one time into each nostril.
- Each fentanyl nasal spray bottle contains eight sprays. You can keep track of how many sprays you have used by looking at the counting window on the bottle. Stop using the bottle when the number "8" appears in the window, even if there is liquid remaining -- there is not enough medicine for another full dose.
- The fentanyl nasal spray bottle must be primed prior to the first use. To prime the bottle, remove the protective cap from the tip of the bottle. Holding the bottle upright, place the tip of the bottle into the discard pouch and pump the bottle four times (until you see a green bar in the counting window).
- The medication must be used within 14 days of being primed. If it has been more than 14 days, safely dispose of any remaining medication and the bottle. You should also dispose of any medication and the bottle if more than five days pass between doses.
- This medication comes with instructions that describe the proper use. Read the instructions before you start using fentanyl nasal spray. If you have any questions about how to use the nasal spray, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
- You must wait at least two hours between doses, and use no more than four doses in a day. Talk to your healthcare provider if you need more than four doses in one day, or if your pain recurs within two hours of a dose.
- You may not feel the medicine as it sprays into your nose. However, you will know a dosage was given if you hear an audible click and the built-in dose counter advances by one.
- Store the bottle in its child-resistant container when not in use, to keep it safe from children (see Lazanda Storage and Disposal for more information).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dosage or suddenly stop using fentanyl nasal spray without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your fentanyl nasal spray dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.