Prostate Cancer Home > Eligard Side Effects
In clinical studies, the most commonly reported side effect of Eligard was hot flashes; fortunately, these and other reactions to the drug tend to be mild and easily treated. However, serious side effects are possible and may require prompt medical attention. Such problems include blood in the urine, extreme bone pain, and sudden changes in vision.
An Introduction to Eligard Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Eligard® (leuprolide acetate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If reactions do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Eligard. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With EligardEligard has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, the most common Eligard side effects included:
- Hot flashes -- in up to 73.3 percent of people
- Injection site reactions, including mild pain, burning, and stinging -- up to 34.6 percent
- Fatigue and general discomfort -- up to 17.5 percent
- Decreased testicle size -- up to 7.2 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 4.5 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 4.4 percent
- Clamminess -- up to 4.4 percent
- Weakness -- up to 3.6 percent
- Breast enlargement -- up to 3.6 percent
- Nausea -- up to 3.4 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 3.4 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 2.2 to 3.3 percent of people, included:
- Decreased libido (decreased sex drive)
- Night sweats
- Pain in the arms or legs
- Frequent need to urinate
- Stomach and intestinal irritation ("stomach flu")
- Getting up in the middle of the night to urinate
- Hair loss
- Testicular pain.