Prostate Cancer Home > Eligard Dosage
The specific dose of Eligard your healthcare provider recommends will be based primarily on the product that is being used; however, the options are the same. You can receive an injection every one, three, four, or six months. Make sure that you rotate injection sites if you are giving the medication to yourself, and discard any product that is cloudy or contains particles.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of EligardThe Eligard® (leuprolide acetate) dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the particular product used. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Eligard Dosing GuidelinesThe usual dose of Eligard in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer is one of the following:
- Eligard 7.5 mg every month
- Eligard 22.5 mg every three months
- Eligard 30 mg every four months
- Eligard 45 mg every six months.
Each Eligard dosage is given as a single injection. The injection is normally given in the abdominal area (stomach), but may also be given in an arm or leg.
General Information on Using EligardSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Eligard include the following:
- This medication is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously). It may be given every one, three, four, or six months depending on the particular strength used.
- Eligard is injected in the fatty layer of tissue just beneath skin, usually on the stomach, arms, or legs. A different site should be chosen for each injection.
- This medication is usually given by a healthcare provider. If you (or a caregiver) will be giving the injection, your healthcare provider should show you exactly how to use it. Make sure you understand the directions, and ask questions if you are unsure about anything.
- Do not use Eligard if it is cloudy or contains particles.
- Allow Eligard to come to room temperature before using it. It must be used within 30 minutes of mixing it.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop using this medicine because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Eligard, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.