Prostate Cancer Home > Casodex Overdose
Because no overdoses have been reported with Casodex (bicalutamide), it is hard to know exactly what would happen if you take too much. However, it's possible that symptoms would be similar to side effects seen with the drug, such as hot flashes. If you think you may have taken an overdose, seek medical attention right away.
Casodex® (bicalutamide) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. It works by inhibiting the actions of male hormones (such as testosterone) in the body. It is used in combination with a medicine that decreases the production of testosterone in the body.
At this time, it is unknown what exactly to expect from a Casodex overdose. The specific effects would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, including the Casodex dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of an overdose with Casodex. In clinical studies, doses as high as 200 mg a day have been tolerated without significant overdose symptoms. However, higher doses have not been studied. It is unknown at what dose serious overdose symptoms may occur.
Based on clinical studies, a person who takes too much Casodex may experience:
- Hot flashes
- Breast swelling
- Breast pain
- Increase in liver enzyme levels (detected using a blood test)
- Liver injury.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for treating a Casodex overdose.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. These options may include:
- Close monitoring of vital signs, such as heart rate and blood pressure
- Medications to reduce nausea and vomiting, if they occur and are severe
- Intravenous (IV) fluids, if dehydration occurs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.