Most men take the same dose of flutamide, regardless of other factors. Two 125-mg capsules are taken three times daily, preferably at the same time each day, to keep an even level of the medication in the bloodstream. Those who have trouble swallowing the capsules can open them and mix the contents with pudding, applesauce, or something similar, provided the food is then eaten right away.
An Introduction to Dosing With FlutamideThere is only one standard dosage of flutamide (Eulexin®) for prostate cancer. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Flutamide Dosage for Prostate Cancer?The usual recommended dosage for prostate cancer is flutamide 250 mg three times a day (two 125-mg capsules three times a day), about eight hours apart. This gives a total daily flutamide dose of 750 mg. Flutamide is given in combination with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist, sometimes called a luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LH-RH) agonist, such as:
- Goserelin acetate implant (Zoladex®)
- Histrelin acetate implant (Vantas®)
- Leuprolide acetate (Eligard®, Lupron®, Lupron Depot®)
- Triptorelin (Trelstar®).
General Information on Taking FlutamideSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with flutamide include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day, about eight hours apart.
- Take your flutamide doses at about the same times each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Flutamide can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach.
- For people who cannot swallow the capsules whole, open the capsules and mix the contents with applesauce, pudding, or a similarly textured food. The food should be consumed immediately after mixing the medicine.
- Flutamide is used in combination with another prostate cancer medicine. The two medicines should be started at the same time. Make sure you know how to use the other medicine, too.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with flutamide, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.