An Introduction to Dosing With Firmagon
There is only one standard dose of Firmagon®
), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Firmagon Dosage for Advanced Prostate Cancer
The standard dosage of Firmagon for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer
is a one-time starting dose of 240 mg (given as two 120-mg injections), followed 28 days later by a maintenance dose of 80 mg (given as one injection). The 80-mg maintenance dose will be given every month (every 28 days) until treatment ends.
Your healthcare provider will periodically measure the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood to help determine how well Firmagon is working to treat your cancer. Information from this test will help your healthcare provider determine how long you should continue receiving Firmagon treatment.
General Information on Using Firmagon
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Firmagon include the following:
- Firmagon is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously) every four weeks (28 days).
- The injection is given under the skin of the abdomen (stomach). It is usually given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- The exact site of the injection on your abdomen will change with each dosage. The injection should not be given in an area that could be rubbed or pressed against, such as near the waistband, belt, or ribs.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Remember to schedule an appointment to receive your dose every four weeks.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Firmagon dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.